Friday, March 11, 2011

Happy Friday

It's Friday, the sun is shining, and I was productive today. If only I didn't have work, today would have been perfect! During Cohen's first nap I vacuumed the house, cleaned the bathroom, got ready for work, and made dinner to refrigerate and come home to later.

Last night I went to see Joshua Radin in concert with a few friends. We saw him at the Crystal Ballroom in Portland. It was a great show. Unfortunately, it was standing room only so I had to stand on the tip toes to see him perform. A concert that starts at 8=a mama who didn't get home until almost 1 AM. That doesn't bode well when you have a baby that wakes up for a feeding between 3 & 4 AM. Before getting into bed, I decided to attempt a dreamfeed. We have tried this a few times before, and it didn't make much of a difference for Cohen. This time it went well though! I picked him up and fed him, he ate about 4 oz. and then it started pouring out of his mouth, so I knew he was done. We were both in our beds at about 1:30 and he didn't wake up til 6:30. He only woke up for the paci and then slept until 9. It's like he knew I got home late and I needed a good night. Aw, he's my favorite :)

On a not so happy note, Cohen is eating a lot more, and I'm having trouble keeping up. This is is a circumstance that makes me hate that I exclusively pump rather than nurse. When he was 6 weeks old I decided to EP because he did so horribly at the breast. I had an overactive letdown and feeding him was always stressful. He was getting up at least twice a night to eat, and we would be up for about 90 minutes each feeding. I started pumping and freezing milk 2 weeks after I had him, and I felt my stash was decent enough to start only pumping at 6 weeks. He was only eating about 4 oz. a feeding then. I built up a great freezer stash of almost 200 oz. because I produced enough to keep up with him during the day and freeze at least 1 bottle's worth a day, sometimes 2 or 3. The problem is, he's now eating 6-8 oz. a feeding, so I have to take 2 bags of frozen milk out to make him just one bottle. Sometimes I don't even pump enough for one bottle during a session. We bought some formula and now and then I add 2 oz. to a bottle in hopes of keeping up with my stash. I suppose that's what the big freezer stash was for... but I became such a milk nazi while building it, that I hate to see me use more than I'm replacing. I'm aiming to keep Cohen breastfed until he is 1 year. But that dream is fading more and more as he grows. Luckily, solids are just around the corner, so he shouldn't be taking bigger bottles than what he is now. At least I don't think so? I suppose I have some reading to do!

I decided to write a letter to Cohen at the end of a few of my entries, to go back and read later, maybe even to him... (will he really care when he's a crazy little kid?)

  Dear Cohen, 
Today your crazy mommy played little kiddy songs on Pandora and danced around like a maniac. You smiled and laughed at me, and it made me so happy. I would do that every day for the rest of my life if I got to see that perfect smile. You've been waking up happy after your naps, and especially in the morning. It's like you missed me as much I as I missed you. I love that more than I'll ever be able to tell you. I can't believe that one day when you're a teenager, I will be yelling at your lazy behind to get out of bed. When that day comes, I hope I can look back on these times now and remember how happy I made you. I hope when those days come, we'll still be best friends.
 Love, Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment