Sunday, March 13, 2011

What a difference a year makes

It's March 13th! On this day last year I found out I was pregnant. It's quite the story.

At the beginning of the week, probably the 7th or 8th, I had an extremely vivid dream that I was having a baby. I couldn't shake the strange feeling it gave me. I was expecting Aunt Flow on Wednesday the 10th, but I told my husband I had a weird feeling that it wouldn't come. We had no reason to believe I could have been pregnant. I had been taking my birth control pill everyday for years at this point. It had been months since I had missed a pill. Well, it never came, and on Saturday evening, the 13th, while picking up some groceries, I decided to buy a test just to ease my mind. I told myself I would take the tests in the morning, which is supposedly the best time to take them, for you get a "fresh batch" or hormones. After eating dinner with Darren and a couple of friends, I went upstairs to use the restroom, and thought I would take 1 of the 3 tests, just to show myself that it was negative so I could enjoy the rest of my night. I took the test, waited for the instructed amount of minutes, and looked down at 2 lines-clear as day. Who knew a little plastic (is it plastic?) stick could contain just life-changing news. I wanted to make sure 2 lines meant what I thought it did, so I walked back to my purse in my bedroom to double check it on the box. Yup: 2 lines=positive. My eyes widened and for just eating a big plate of spaghetti, my stomach felt empty. My body felt really light, I let out a scream, and it seemed like I floated across floor and down the stairs. I flew into the kitchen where Darren stood with our roommate John and one of my best friends Shan. I waved the test around, let out some kind of a jumbled sentence and said, "Positive!"

It was a crazy night. We sat down and edited our 5 Year Plan (we're so cool) and I don't think either of us slept a wink that night. The next day we told our parents and eventually our friends. It ended up being exciting news, and after a few days, I was happy as could be over it.

What I lacked for in excitement that day, I make up for now with complete and utter joy. I love my baby boy more than anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment